Thursday, January 15, 2009

Celebration of Alpha Kappa Alpha 101 Years

Founded on the campus of Howard University, 101 years ago today, January 15,1908, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Innnnncorporated is the first Greek lettered sorority established and incorporated by African American college women. The sorority was founded by a group of nine students, led by Ethel Hedgeman Lyle. Forming a sorority broke barriers for African American women in areas where little power or authority existed due to a lack of opportunities for minorities and women in the early twentieth century. Today the sorority's membership, however, includes women of Caucasian, Asian, and Hispanic descent. The sorority serves all mankind through a nucleus of upwards a quarter million women in over 950 chapters located in the United States, the Caribbean, Germany, Korea and Japan. Alpha Kappa Alpha women can be found on every continent in the world. Alpha Kappa Alpha cultivates and encourages high scholastic and ethical standards, promotes unity and friendship among college women, alleviates problems concerning girls and women, & maintains a progressive interest in college life. Among the group's current goals is to have an association that cuts across racial, international, physical, and social barriers to help individuals and communities develop and maintain constructive relationships with others.
Can you name all the women in this portrait? Don't worry we'll wait.My hats off as I salute you! Congratulations pretty girls wearing 20 pearls! Phirst & the Phinest! Still *hittin on 'em lols. Train up a child!
I mean who else you know got their own Barbie .
Them ladies mean in that pink & green! SERIOUS MATTER! ;-)
Original, by definition, means pertaining to the Source. Well when you speak of the Original Woman,you are speaking of me, of course.
See I am the AKA, the First and Finest for All to Behold; I change Black Women to Black Pearls, I am 101 years old.
By merit and by culture is the motivation behind my strides;An Alpha Kappa Alpha woman will always walk with pride.You see, being the Original Woman is not my only claim to fame; Service to all Mankind is my most esteemed aim.
I am the Original, giving consistently of myself Addressing pertinent issues, from AKAdemics to good health. I've made a commitment to do good I am the hope and the dream of the impoverished and unclean, When I grace the room you know the Pink and Green is on the scene.
I am intelligent, beautiful, finest yet and sophisticated;A strong black woman, college trained and widely educated.One time originated, three times imitated, but never,ever duplicated;I represent Alpha Kappa Alpha!
And God said, "I’ll make me a woman. A woman of substance, A woman of pride. A woman who is able to put petty things aside. A woman of integrity, A woman of love. A woman who is worthy of the treasurers from above. A woman who is genuine, A leader in every way. God said, I’ll make me a woman...I’ll call her AKA."

NOTHING! I PROMISE! I PLEDGE MY LOVE TO YOU! I CELEBRATE YOU EVERYDAY ESPECIALLY TODAY! THANK YOU FOR 101 YEARS OF SERVICE TO ALL MANKIND! HAPPY FOUNDERS' DAY TO MY PHENOMENAL WOMEN!
SIGNED,
LYLE LOVE

1 comment:

  1. Hey, PHam! Thanks for the Founder's Day shout out on the blog! 101 years and still illustrious! SKEE-PHI!

    ReplyDelete